Both communities are known for their quality schools. New Lenox students have access to four elementary schools, three public middle schools, one public junior high and also one high school. The Frankfort Elementary School District has three schools ? the Grand Prairie Elementary School, Chelsea School and the Hickory Creek School / Frankfort Jr. High School. The Summit Hill School District 161 has five schools and serves a portion of the students from Frankfort in addition to students from surrounding villages. The high school in the area is part of a two-campus high school. The main Lincoln Way Community High School campus is located in New Lenox and educates the junior and senior level students. The east campus in Frankfort educates the freshman and sophomore students.
Several higher learning institutions are located near the villages ? the Joliet Junior College and the University of St. Francis are both located in nearby Joliet and the Governors State University is located in University Park. Chicago is also home to numerous public and private colleges and universities.
Parks & Recreation
Both communities have their own parks and recreation departments. There are 13 parks and three recreation buildings that provide athletic facilities and activities in New Lenox. The District offers numerous programs and also operates the Sanctuary, an 18-hole champion golf course. The Frankfort Park District maintains five neighborhood parks. In addition to a new sports complex, the District oversees the Founders' Community Center with five classrooms, a multipurpose room and a gymnasium. Main Park on West Nebraska Street has two playgrounds, a pavilion, two lighted tennis courts, two lighted volleyball courts, seven baseball and softball fields, and soccer fields. The building at Main Park now houses a preschool program.
For other recreational activities that are not offered in the villages, the many leisure opportunities of Lake Michigan are only a short drive away.
The area that is now the Village of New Lenox was first settled in the late 1820s. New Lenox Township was established when Will County was created in 1852. The modern day history of this community began during 1945-1946. Many leaders of the town reasoned that the community should be incorporated and recognized the benefits and the potential growth of the area. A community vote in the spring of 1946 resulted in the authorization for the creation of the Village and in October 4 of that year, the community was incorporated.
The first pioneers of the Village of Frankfort were mostly of English and Scottish descent, but it was the German settlers who moved from Pennsylvania in the 1840s who made the Village a reality. These settlers proved to be industrious and hard working and eventually bought most of the land from the other settlers who were more inclined to keep shop. Frederick Chappel named the Frankfort Township after his native city, Frankfurt, Germany. In 1855, the Joliet and Northern Indiana Railroad built a line through the present area and named it "Frankfort Station." The Village was incorporated in 1879 and the word "Station" was dropped from the name.